Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites (dipped in chocolate!)

March 25, 2011 at 12:07 am 133 comments

Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites (dipped in chocolate)

Inspiration has hit me again. Pretty hard. And this time I think it’ll be harder to shake.

I had some free time between classes, so I went to the store. For the first time in my life, I bought myself basic ingredients, starting with absolutely nothing. I tried to balance quality and price as I grabbed flour, sugar (white, brown, and powdered), vanilla, salt, butter, cream, and eggs… At the very last minute, standing in the check out line, I ran back to get baking powder and soda. Almost forgot.

When the total came up and I took out my wallet, I mentally calculated how many tables I’d have to wait to gain it back. Since when was baking such an expensive hobby?

This being-an-adult, shopping-for-your-own-groceries thing is tough. But I smiled the whole ride home.

Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites

As the week went on, the anticipation grew. I think this is what I discovered. When the only times you bake are for dinner with the neighbors, birthdays, holidays and paid orders, something is wrong. When you’re baking just because? Because you want to, because it’s Thursday, because there are four pounds of sugar under your bed? These reasons are happiness-generators, like fresh batches of Play Doh and abandoned fields of dandelions.

Faced with the freedom of no guidelines, I couldn’t decide whether to go crunchy or chewy, warm or chilled, chocolate-glazed or baked with fruit. On Saturday I was sure I would make a citrusy pound cake. Sunday I’d switched to some kind of breakfast scone, easy to share with the common room… By Tuesday I found myself wanting a few secret pots de creme in my mini-fridge, a midnight snack just for me.

Then, considering the mediocre fruit selection in the dining hall at lunchtime, it hit me. I took three ripe pears and looked up a recipe for clafouti. I packed all the ingredients and tools, plus a book and my camera. I lugged the ridiculously heavy bag down the street to the dorm building that has kitchens.

Peanut Butter

The kitchen was a bit of a letdown. There was no soap by the sink for dishes. The windows were blocked by buildings and didn’t let in any natural light, so no photographs. But I figured out how to work the oven, mixed the clafouti batter as best I could, and hoped for success. I sat down to read and discovered that, somewhere in Chapter 2, I could smell sugar.

I pulled the puffed, golden-brown custard out of the oven and experienced a more real satisfaction than I could have possibly imagined. My bones felt solid, my lungs felt full, and would you believe it, I felt starved. I washed the dishes and repacked the bag in a dream, and as I turned to leave, I grabbed the still-hot pan without thinking. My hand automatically opened and the clafouti splattered like vanilla-infused ink. The metal pan clattered against the linoleum and I thought it would never stop ringing in my ears and in the corners of the empty kitchen.

Empty-handed, without photos or a taste. Bitterness started to settle like steeping tea.

Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites

But then, in spite of myself, I laughed. No regrets, no tears. Because, let’s be real, it was a pretty stupid move on my part, but it didn’t take away any of the pleasure I got from the baking process. Blog post or not, for one afternoon, I felt unfiltered elation. Maybe there was a lesson in the unsalvageable clafouti – the joy comes from the process, not from being recognized as the “baking blogger” or from eating a lot of cream.

Instead, I’m sharing these Peanut Butter Pretzel bites with you. They’re easy enough to make from a dorm. Creamy peanut butter, sugar, and vanilla combine in a rich and addictive filling. Sandwiched between two crisp, salty pretzels and dunked in bittersweet chocolate, you end up with an incredible party snack that vanishes fast.

No mixer required. No fiddling with foreign ovens. You can even melt the chocolate in the microwave (which I did.) The result is a delicious, one bite contradiction of creamy and crunchy, sweet and salty, peanutty and chocolatey.

Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites (dipped in chocolate)

I knew right away they wouldn’t survive the weekend, but that’s okay. I’ve still got 3 ½ pounds of sugar under my bed. That’s reason enough for me.

Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites

Actually, is there really any reason not to make these?

Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites (Dipped in Chocolate!)
Adapted from Foodaphilia
Makes around 45-60 bite sizes sandwiches

1 cup creamy peanut butter
2 tsp butter, room temperature
2/3 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Pretzels
2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips

In a small bowl, beat the peanut butter and butter together until smooth and creamy. Beat in the powdered sugar, light brown sugar, and vanilla extract until well mixed – you may need to add more to get the filling thick and stiff enough to hold its shape.

Roll teaspoons of the peanut butter mixture between your palms to form balls. Sandwich between two pretzels and put on a plate or cookie sheet. Freeze the pretzel sandwiches for half an hour.

Melt the chocolate chips, using the microwave (30 second intervals) or a double boiler. Dip half of each pretzel sandwich in chocolate. Return the tray to the freezer and chill until the chocolate sets. Store the Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites in the refrigerator until serving time.

Printer-Friendly Recipe – Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites (dipped in chocolate!)

Entry filed under: Cookies, Other Treats. Tags: , , , , , , , .

Coconut Pecan “Why Not” Pie with Walnuts and Toffee Raspberry Honey Tapioca

• 1. Atonement, or, Crack Pretzels « a glass of milk  |  July 12, 2011 at 10:12 am

[...] Just like Mary Poppins, they’re practically perfect in every way.  These are the brainchild of Foodaphilia, but I found them by way of 17 and Baking. [...]

• 2. Sweet treats « maggie & matilda  |  July 27, 2011 at 10:12 pm

[...] Peanut butter pretzel bites dipped in chocolate, via 17 and Baking [...]

• 3. mysoulisthesky  |  August 15, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Hi :) I just found your blog and am loving all your recipes. I can’t wait to make some of my own peanut butter pretzel bites!

• 4. Brittany  |  September 19, 2011 at 7:31 pm

I made these today and am pleased to say that they are delicious with some minor tweaks till they were perfect for my taste. But I did substitute the semi-sweet chocolate chips for milk chocolate chips, just because I like milk chocolate better. Also I was unsure of the peanut butter mixture, because it didn’t exactly look like the pictures, but that may just be because of the type/brand of peanut butter I used. other than these minor things, they are delicious :)
    keep on doing good things girl.

• 5. Karen  |  September 26, 2011 at 11:51 am

This was actually the first post of yours that I read….someone else in another blog had mentioned it and linked it. So I made these right away and they were great! My first experience with these ingredients together and I liked the combo very much. :-)

The only thing was that my hands got super sticky with rolling the peanut butter mixture into little balls. So how I made them the next time…I used a very small portion scoop to make the little balls. My scoop was still just a bit too big to make the right size though, so I used a bench scraper tool to cut them in half – perfect! And less handling, too….

:-)

• 6. Theo Beard  |  October 25, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Amazing recipe, i am going to do it together with my wife tonite. Hope i get it right! Cheers

• 7. mamashoob  |  November 23, 2011 at 10:49 am

I was looking for something bite sized and simple to make for tomorrow (Thanksgiving) and I knew I’d seen this recipe somewhere before! They are going to be a hit, I just know it!

• 8. Found My Spark - Christmas Candy Experiments  |  December 21, 2011 at 12:50 pm

[...] And finally, these. [...]

• 9. Chocolate PB Pretzels « a directed heart  |  December 21, 2011 at 1:04 pm

[...] morning was another morning for baking! I stumbled across a fun recipe this morning that looked pretty simple, so I thought I’d try it out. I adapted it slightly to [...]

• 10. PollyC  |  December 24, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Made these today. A treat for me, with gluten-free pretzels (which are pretty dreadful until you introduce them to peanut butter and chocolate!). Thanks for a great treat.

• 11. Sarah  |  January 13, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Made some of these and LOVED them! See my whole writeup & recipe review here: http://thesexyknitter.blogspot.com/2012/01/deliciousness-peanut-butter-chocolate.html

• 12. Inspiration: Peanut Butter Treats « JoyHey  |  January 24, 2012 at 6:12 pm

[...] Butter and Toffee Bars, 3. not nearly enough peanut butter pie, 4. Biscuits for Boyfriend, 5. Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites (dipped in chocolate!), 6. Homemade Peanut Butter Cups, 7. Magical Peanut Butter Cookies, 8. Peanut Butter and Jelly [...]

• 13. Little Mommy, Big Appetite  |  February 3, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Featured this on my Fab Friday Finds.. stop by and check it out!

• 14. crystal smith  |  February 14, 2012 at 6:53 pm

i am gonna try this, looks so good

• 15. crystal smith  |  February 15, 2012 at 3:18 pm

i tried these and oh my goodness they are so good. thank you for posting.:)

• 16. Maggie  |  March 27, 2012 at 2:30 pm

This looks good. Do you think it would taste good with almond butter instead of peanut butter?

• 17. Sheilah  |  March 29, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Going to make these with the grandkids for an Easter treat. We live in Costa Rica and can’t buy Easter candy here but these sound so good! Thanks

• 18. LegosnEggos.com  |  May 11, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Elissa, I’m making these for, like, the bajillionth time for me sons high school club. It’s what they’re known for when snack requests come up. lol I think I have the recipe memorized, I’ve made these so often. So easy to make (no bake), but people still choose to just request them from my guys.

• [...] Peanut Butter Chocolate Pretzel Bites Recipe from 17 and Baking [...]

• [...] Adapted from 17 and Baking [...]

• 21. Tailgate Menu: Week 1  |  August 28, 2013 at 12:00 pm

[…] Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites […]

• 22. Charter Boat Fishing Pompano Beach  |  October 21, 2013 at 5:57 pm

I visited multiple web pages but the audio feature for audio songs current at this web site is really fabulous.

• 23. Holiday Baking For The Weekend | Pin It  |  December 6, 2013 at 1:41 pm

[…]  Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites from 17 and Baking […]

• 24. tile cleaning sydney  |  January 9, 2014 at 8:08 am

Great post. I’m dealing with a few of these issues as well..

• 25. Elizabeth  |  March 23, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Hello i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anywhere, when i read this paragraph i thought
    i could also create comment due to this sensible post.

• 26. Diane Guin  |  April 9, 2014 at 11:44 pm

Can’t wait to try these, this weekend. The recipe looks like it will be delicious!!

• 27. Marble Fort Lauderdale  |  April 30, 2014 at 7:04 am

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out much.

I hope to give something back and help others like you helped me.

• 28. broken heart quote  |  June 16, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Hey there, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues.

When I look at your blog site in Opera, it looks
    fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
    I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, excellent blog!

• 29. plantation shades Delray Beach  |  July 20, 2014 at 7:12 am

That is a very good tip particularly to those
    new to the blogosphere. Short but very precise information… Thanks for sharing this one.
    A must read post!

• 30. Plastic surgery barbie  |  July 22, 2014 at 9:46 am

Aside from that, interview former patients to obtain first-hand insight into a particular cosmetic surgeon’s methods, approach, and techniques to
    plastic surgery. Calvert states, it requires a great deal of planning and preparation, as well
    as a lengthy recovery time (a three to five week hospital stay, with about six weeks of home rest prior to returning to work).
    There is no question that how you look has an impact in the workplace.

• 31. laser light hair therapy reviews  |  July 25, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Profollica Best Treatment for Men improves hair body and suppleness and protect
    against harmful sun damage and itchy and scalp conditions.
    It can affect the appearance, confidence, and maybe even the self
    esteem of a person. It improves your hair’s elasticity, texture and strength.