A Box of Brigadeiros (Brazilian Fudge Truffles)

February 15, 2010 at 11:07 pm 92 comments

b4wm
Tangerine Brigadeiro

When my DSLR camera arrived in the mail, matte black and quite possibly the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen, the first place I went was the kitchen.

Up until then, I’d been using a small, compact digital camera to take my food photos. While I was satisfied with the results, I knew I wanted something more. I wanted a camera that caught the rich sheen of chocolate glaze, the buttery crumble of shortbread, and the vivid colors of buttercream frosting. And while my digital camera could take a photograph of a dessert, it didn’t capture the real essence of what made each dessert truly, fork-halfway-to-your-mouth delicious.

But with my new Canon Rebel XTi, I felt sure that everything was about to change. I lifted my camera to my cheek, felt my eyelashes brush against the viewfinder, and pressed the button gently. My first photograph was a basket of green and gold apples in a woven basket, steeped in the most beautiful afternoon light I’d ever seen. I actually set the camera down to do a little dance right there on the kitchen tiles, feeling utterly radiant.

b1wm
Coconut Lemon Brigadeiro

Since then, taking photographs has become just as fulfilling as baking a creamy, uncracked cheesecake or writing a seamless short story. I take long walks around the neighborhood with the Canon around my neck, glancing everywhere like I could take a picture with my eyes. I look for the extraordinary in the details, for interesting shadows and whimsical patterns.

Every time I check the photos I’ve taken, it’s a mixed bag. There will always be a couple that are slightly out of focus or didn’t replicate the view in my head. I don’t think a good camera makes a photographer. But when I get a shot that makes me as giddy as that beautifully simple photo of a basket of apples, I feel like a life spent seeking breathtaking photos would be a life well spent.

I sent that photograph of the apples to my dad the day I took it. I included a brief, but cheery message with it: “Look!!! This is unedited, straight out of the camera! I think I’m just going to have to send you a photo every single day.”

And you know what? I didn’t think much of that last sentence at the time, but it’s been nine months and he’s kept me to it.

b6wm
Cayenne Cinnamon Brigadeiro

Every day, whether the sky releases a torrent of rain or I get home at nine with a headache and a temper, I send a daily photo. It’s a different image every day… pastel sunrises, wrought-iron fences, even self-portraits if I’m feeling ambitious. And though it isn’t always easy to come up with a new photo, it keeps me photographing the way 17 and Baking keeps me writing.

As it turns out, I love photographing almost anything – people, dilapidated houses, animals, unusual textures – more than food.

There is a side effect to the daily photos, though. I don’t like my dad to look through my camera. I love surprises. I love being surprised, I love planning surprises, and I definitely like surprising other people, so I always want the daily photo to be new when my dad checks for it every night. Unfortunately, I think I care more than he does, so sometimes we fight over the Canon.

b7wm

“Dad. Seriously. Don’t look through it. I just got back from downtown and there’s a lot of daily photos in there.”

“Good!” He’ll press the buttons to look through the saved photos, a thoughtful look on his face before I’ll try to snatch the camera back.

“It should be a surprise!” And then I’ll get served with the roll of his eyes, his mild annoyance, and that too-familiar face that says “Oh please.” But I always persist.

But after we made this brigadeiros – Brazilian fudge truffles we made at the request of a reader – I surprised both of us by being somewhat open. I normally make him leave when I photograph food, preferring to be alone to avoid the pressure of his presence as well as his advice. But that day I let him stand off to the side as I adjusted settings, taking the same photo over and over.

When he asked what I was doing, I even turned over the camera to show him. Who knows. Surprises are important, but maybe a little family time with five dozen truffles and a set of pretty photographs is kind of important too.

b3wm
Tangerine Brigadeiro

I’d never heard of brigadeiros before, but when someone asked for them through a comment on an old post, I was tickled. Dad and I looked them up together and realized that they were a snack his grandmother had made for him when he was a little boy, exactly the same. Whether they evoked memories or not, though, they were my first request and I didn’t even consider not making them.

With Dad’s help, we decided on five variations: coconut lemon, cayenne cinnamon, tangerine, hazelnut-nutella (think Ferrero Rocher), and white chocolate-dipped lavender almond. It may sound like a mouthful, but actually, this might be the easiest thing I’ve ever made. To make five dozen truffles, including five different variations and a trip to the grocery store, the entire process took us two hours.

The base is only 3 ingredients, but gosh, these are delicious. The entire week we’ve said, “Wow. We need to give these away.” But we haven’t. We just keep eating them. For once, I don’t feel like the photos do the brigadeiros justice.

b2wm
White Chocolate-Dipped Lavender Almond Brigadeiro

[PS: I'm thinking about doing a frequently-asked questions post, so feel free to leave a comment with a question for me. I'll pick out some questions and answer them in a later post. You can ask about anything, food-related or not, and I might answer it! :) Hope you all had a great valentine's day. I spent it eating brigadeiros.]

b5wm
Hazelnut-Nutella Brigadeiros

Three ingredients and endless possibilities! You can be so, so creative with the brigadeiros. And you positively cannot go wrong with cocoa powder, butter, and sweetened condensed milk.

Frankly, I might call the white chocolate-dipped lavender almond brigadeiros a failure because the lavender wasn’t very prominent. But even so, they were delicious. It was impossible to pick a favorite in my opinion. My dad’s favorite was the tangerine, because the flavor was so bright and sunny. But I know he also really liked the hazelnut and the cayenne.

“Truffle” is a little misleading, but “fudge” isn’t quite right either – both together are a little more accurate. Once chilled, the brigadeiros have the texture of a very thick caramel, but without the super stickiness. They’re rich and creamy and chewy. They’re really divine, so thank you to the reader who asked for them! They were delicious and I would completely make them again.

I’d love to try even more flavor possibilities. Maybe roasted banana, grapefruit, lemon and mint, walnut and maple?? Any extract, liquor, spice, or ingredient can probably be incorporated. Of course, they are also quite good as is, no variation required.

Assorted Brigadeiros (Brazilian Fudge Truffles)
Makes 5 dozen total (can be halved)
Makes a dozen of each of the following: white chocolate-dipped lavender almond, coconut lemon, tangerine, hazelnut-nutella, and cayenne cinnamon.

Base Brigadeiro Dough
2 (14 oz) cans of sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature

White Chocolate-Dipped Lavender Almond
Scant 1/8 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp culinary lavender
2 oz white chocolate chips

Coconut Lemon
Scant 1/8 tsp lemon extract
Shredded coconut, for rolling

Tangerine
Zest of half of a tangerine/small mandarin orange, plus more for decorating
1/4 tsp Grand Marnier
Chocolate sprinkles, for rolling

Hazelnut-Nutella
12 whole hazelnuts
2 tablespoons nutella
Chopped hazelnuts, for rolling (preferably toasted and skinned)

Cayenne Cinnamon
Scant 1/8 tsp cayenne powder, plus more for decoration
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon

Combine sweetened condensed milk, cocoa powder, and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until the mixture comes together into a thick batter. [Really do stir constantly. It'll take 10-15 minutes and you might want to have a book or something.] When you tilt the pan, the mixture should not stick to the bottom of the pan, but slide cohesively like a dough. Cook further for another minute or so.

Remove from heat and divide amongst 5 bowls, about 1/2 cup dough each. [You might want to grease the bowls first, but I didn't, and didn't have any problems.] In your first bowl, add the almond extract. In the second bowl, add the lemon extract. In the third bowl, add the tangerine zest and the Grand Marnier. In the fourth bowl, add the cayenne powder and the cinnamon. And leave the fifth bowl untouched (for the hazelnut-nutella). [You could mark the bowls, or identify through taste.] Let cool to room temperature.

Meanwhile, for the hazelnut brigadeiros, roll a dozen whole hazelnuts individually in a bit of nutella. Just try to coat them evenly. Put them in the freezer. These will make it easier to get the hazelnut, and a layer of nutella, inside the brigadeiros.

For the white chocolate-dipped lavender almond brigadeiros, melt the white chocolate either in a double boiler or using the microwave. Stir in the culinary lavender and keep warm.

Using a small cookie scoop, teaspoon, or melon-baller, scoop out the dough and roll it between lightly-greased palms. You can make any size you want, mine are about an inch in diameter. I would work with one flavor at a time.

Dip the almond brigadeiros in the white chocolate, then place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roll the lemon brigadeiros in shredded coconut before placing on the sheet. Roll the tangerine brigadeiros in chocolate sprinkles, then top with zest. Top the cayenne brigadeiros with a bit of cayenne powder. For the hazelnut brigadeiros, flatten the ball into a disk and wrap around the chilled hazelnut/nutella, then roll in chopped hazelnuts.

Eat immediately, or chill brigadeiros.

Printer-Friendly Recipe – Assorted Brigadeiros

b9wn
Disk of brigadeiro dough with a nutella-coated hazelnut

Entry filed under: Other Treats. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

Vanilla Bean Jasmine Rice Pudding Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

• 1. linda  |  February 16, 2010 at 4:39 am

so pleased to see this delectable new post…& your photography is just stunning…make me want to jump into the photo & grab a brigadeiro!

*heart* the q & a post….so here goes…

i would love to bake your chocolate marble cheesecake
    w/ coconut, lemongrass, & k. lime but, want to make a petite cake (in a 6 inch cheesecake pan)…how do i calculate the baking time & when i put the ingredients into the 6 incher should the total “fill” be 1/2 or 3/4??

thank so much elissa!

• 2. Warm Vanilla Sugar  |  February 16, 2010 at 5:46 am

My mouth can’t stop watering. These truffles look absolutely fantastic! Good idea to mix lavender and almonds, I would have never thought of that!!

Also, congrats on the new camera! I’m saving for one myself and hope I can get one soon. Thanks again for your post! It’s lovely.

• 3. Sandy  |  February 16, 2010 at 5:57 am

Wow these look sooo delicious!! I am drooling. I totally want to make these one day too! BTW, you just got your camera and you took these amazing pictures with them?? You are so talented!!

• 4. Elissa  |  February 16, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Sandy – Thank you! Although it’s worth mentioning that I didn’t just get the Canon. I used my compact point-and-shoot digital camera up until June 2009, and that’s when I got the Canon Rebel. But even when I was using the PAS digital, I was satisfied with my photos , it’s just that the Canon captures so much more detail and enhances the pictures in my opinion :)

• 5. Valérie  |  February 16, 2010 at 8:20 am

Truffles made with condensed milk instead of cream… interesting! And they look exquisite, I do love your flavour combinations!

I recently graduated to SLR from compact, and I was also thrilled with the difference. There’s a lot to get used to, but it’s so worth it! You’re right, the camera doesn’t make the photographer, but having extra options certainly helps.

• 6. mali2305  |  February 16, 2010 at 8:57 am

Mmmm they look to-die-for!
    I love using my SLR (nikon d60), but whenever people compliment my photos, I feel inclined to tell them that it’s really not me, it’s the camera! Well who knows, maybe along with a killer camera you just need a good eye for photos. And when it comes out looking like a professional photo (like the kind you’d see in a magazine), it doesn’t really matter either way.

• 7. Xin'en  |  February 16, 2010 at 9:20 am

Love your writing! & baking! (:
    All your different flavours for the brigadeiros. Although I didnt know what they were before you wrote this post.
    yum! great job btw

• 8. Andrea  |  February 16, 2010 at 9:40 am

I’ve had truffles on the brain (I guess it is hard to help that this time of year) but love the idea of the brigadeiros even more. Your description of a cross between fudge and a truffle sounds just divine. March is birthday month in our house, and I know just what gifts I’ll be giving this year!

Q: Who do YOU read for inspiration? Blogs, books, magazines etc…I’d love to know your list of top ten reads to get lost in. Thank you!

• 9. Alex  |  February 16, 2010 at 10:15 am

I don’t know if you’ve tried macaron’s (pronounced like macaroni without the ‘I’) but they are amazing. You need a kitchen scale to make them but it is totally worth it. I have yet to make them myself. I love the pictures the canon rebel XTi takes. Of course a camera is only as good as the person behind it.

• 11. Ellen  |  February 16, 2010 at 10:22 am

mmmm….sounds good. I am a new reader (thanks to Joy the Baker) and I am enjoying your blog. My ultra favorite go to truffle is: butter, heavy cream, Ghiradelli chocolate chips, vanilla chips and pecans, toasted and chopped. Then I dip them in Baker’s semisweet chocolate. I don’t even roll them, I just let them set in an 8×9 pan and slice into small squares before dipping. In fact I made some “for my husband” for Valentine’s day. I think I shall go help myself, right now!! Thanks for a great lift to my day!

• 12. Tay  |  February 16, 2010 at 10:23 am

I like using an SLR because I can change out the lens, play with more manual settings and really do photography the way I love to do it. But I think I love my TLR more. Yashica all the way.

Yes, I’m a lover of film.

• 13. Astrid  |  February 16, 2010 at 10:54 am

You know what my favorite part about your blog is? I adore reading about your dad. I love seeing his comments on your posts. It seems like you have such a great supporter in him and that he loves you so much! I am a total daddy’s girl and always will be, so it always makes me smile. These truffles look incredible!
    Any word on college acceptances yet?

• 14. PlumGaga  |  February 16, 2010 at 11:18 am

Sounds like a more sophisticated version of the condensed milk fudge I’ve made since childhood, where you melt chocolate chips into condensed milk and add vanilla. Will have to try them.

• 15. Eliana  |  February 16, 2010 at 12:36 pm

These all look amazing. I can’t even pick out which one I think would be my favorite.

• 16. Marina  |  February 16, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Here in Brazil, the brigadeiros are the most famous desert we do. When I want some chocolate desert, and I’m too tired to go out and buy something, I pick my pan and start to cook it.
    We also do a very good variation.
    Michelle try this and you wont be regret: Instead of adding the cocoa powder, add the same amount of shredded coconut. And cook it the same way. Then roll it in shredded coconut again. This candy is so gooood and here we call “Beijinho” (literally small kisses). This two deserts are totally sucess here and they are like “sisters” in the birthday parties.
    Sometimes, I like to remove from the heat before, when it’s still creamy. Eat this desert with spoons are too good to be true.

• 17. Marina  |  February 16, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Ow, sorry Elissa!! I change the names!!! so embarassing!! I’m new in your blog but I’m enjoying very much!!
    (I hope I haven’t written too much wrong… I’m still learning how to write english correctly)

• 18. Sis  |  February 16, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I got hooked on dslr’s the exact same way as you. :)

These yummies look fantastic! I’ve seen you use lavender a few times, and I really want to try cooking with it.

• 19. Caroline  |  February 16, 2010 at 4:16 pm

How do you do your baking? I’m in high school too and I have like sports and homework. I bet you have even more stuff with college apps, but how do you balance your time? I can only bake on week-ends.

• 20. mangiodasola  |  February 16, 2010 at 5:30 pm

I wouldn’t call these truffles, as you sort of mentioned in the post because they are not made of ganache. Nevertheless, brigadeiros are fantastically beautiful and decadent-tasting. The beijinhos Marina suggested sound fabulous.

• 21. Pearl Joy  |  February 16, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Those look so yummy!!!

• 22. Pearl Joy  |  February 16, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Those look so tasty! :)

• 23. Heather  |  February 16, 2010 at 7:12 pm

what fun to try a dessert from another culture! you should try more from other countries/cultures :)

my question is: with all the photography that you do, what program(s) do you use to organize and/or edit your photos? do you ever print any?

• 24. allisonmn  |  February 16, 2010 at 8:52 pm

i can only image how you feel about your new camera. i am in the market for a new camera too because i’ve doing food photos with my lil point-n-shoot camera. i def need an upgrade!

p.s. your truffles look sinful! :D

• 25. Linda  |  February 16, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I don’t know which is more appealing-the truffles (my magic word), or the pictures. You are so talented. I hope you are as proud of yourself as I, and I’m sure others, am/are…lol.

xoxo

• 26. Rosie  |  February 16, 2010 at 10:54 pm

I’m new to your blog but everything I’ve seen looks delicious and comes with a great story. I’m completely hooked… and a bit jealous.
    What advice would you give to someone looking for a great internship like the one you have at Seastar?

• 27. breadetbutter  |  February 16, 2010 at 11:57 pm

I’ve never heard of brigadeiros, but they look and sound very good! Love the ‘fererro rocher’ version!

• 28. asiajo  |  February 17, 2010 at 2:59 am

I’m drolling :) Coconut Lemon Brigadeiro is my favorite – it looks absolutely stunning – a high end dessert!

• 29. Juliana  |  February 17, 2010 at 5:48 am

Gosh, these are so commom around here, I’m surprised you have never heard about it, Elissa.
    Yes, it might look difficult because of the many minutes of must spend stirring non-stop but it’s very very easy. I normally do this with my friends over the kitchen, talking, and you’ll see that time will fly by.
    Like Marina suggested, Beijinho is another delicatessen that we usually do for birthday parties or simply to have a good time with friends. (I do necessarily roll them, me and my friends simply get some spoons and a plate with brigadeiro and eat it, hehehe). I usually find Beijinho a bit harded to roll, they tend to stick a bit more.

And if you want to try even more unusual mixtures, I use to make non-salted popcorn and dip them into the brigadeiro pan, while still warm. Or use strawberries, just like a fondue.

Keep up this inspirational blog, Elissa!
    Kisses from Brazil.

• 30. Juliana  |  February 17, 2010 at 5:49 am

Don’t mind the english mistakes, I type really fast, lol. Sorry!

• 31. Ana  |  February 17, 2010 at 7:45 am

I´m brazilian and we love brigadeiro!

• 32. Kim, Rambling Family Manager  |  February 17, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Oh, oh, oh, oh!!! I’m so excited! I’m FINALLY going to make something from your blog! I saw that post where you were asked to make Brigadieros and it got me interested since my troop of Girl Scout Brownies is working on a presentation about Brazil for an upcoming event. We have to provide a sample food item from the country we feature and the Brigadieros are perfect. And now you’ve made them so I don’t have to try to Google a recipe, and you have the variations that sound so yummy. So not only do I get to make one of your recipes, I have to make enough for 200 people. Yipes! ;)

• 33. Jenny  |  February 17, 2010 at 12:02 pm

This is so awesome! Brigadeiros are on my list of things to make this year, and now I have another great post to use as a reference. Perfect! Thank you for doing such a great job and for taking such awesome photos.

• 34. Malin  |  February 17, 2010 at 12:34 pm

I lived in Brazil for almost a year and since then I’ve been making brigadeiros for any occasion! I always make the plain ones, but next time I’ll try the hazelnut-nutella version! They look great!
    And how sweet to send a daily picture for your dad! :)

• 35. Carolina  |  February 17, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Hi Elissa! I just read about your brigadeiros on Facebook.
    I forgot to say that besides ‘beijinho’, we also have ‘casadinho’.
    Casadinho is a black and white brigadeiro rolled in sugar, my favorite candy of all times.
    You should try it, too! If you want it, I can translate the recipe for you. :)

• 36. lavienouveau  |  February 17, 2010 at 3:54 pm

ohhhh…I must make these. They look perfect!

I have a question for you (it’s kind of random and personal though!)…
    Whats your absolute dream job?

You have so many strong talents I always wonder what exactly it is you want to do!

• 37. Leah  |  February 17, 2010 at 4:40 pm

I love the way the subtle ridges of your thumbprint are captured in your cayenne truffle picture. Lovely!

• 38. Erika  |  February 17, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Hi,
    As a good brazilian, I can´t live without a good brigadeiro! I think I am going to try some of your recipes someday…I just do the plain brigadeiro, and roll them in some chocolate, and sometimes I do “beijinhos” (cocconut version, instead of chocolate).
    Beautiful pictures! :)
    Erika

• 39. Jenious  |  February 17, 2010 at 8:52 pm

This post made me smirk with familiarity. Our Dads sound a lot alike. What a lovely gesture sending him a daily photo is. These photos are amazing. You’ve inspired me to research a new camera (I only have a point-and-shoot…). Take care.

• 40. Chanina  |  February 18, 2010 at 1:46 am

I am so making these… what a cute little present to give/get!
    sounds like you have a really fun dad!

• 41. Jiyeon  |  February 18, 2010 at 3:02 am

over spring break, i want to try your fooD!!!!!!!!
    -jiyeon

• 42. jessi  |  February 18, 2010 at 7:07 am

i really wanna make these. :D

(and this is coming from someone who normally hates baking with the same passion that you love it!)

question:

if you could live off just two meals (one sweet and one savoury), regardless of cost/nutritional values, what would they be, and why?

• 43. Lauren  |  February 18, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Best of all? They’re naturally gluten-free ;D. I too love taking photos of everything that is around me. Project 365 is such a fun thing! I love that you’re sending them to your Dad!

• 44. Nicole  |  February 18, 2010 at 7:05 pm

This has been a birthday staple for as long as I can remember, seeing my all time comfort food toyed with was a real treat.

• 45. Amy  |  February 18, 2010 at 10:01 pm

These Brigadeiros have to go on my to-do list. If the photos make my mouth water this much, I can only imagine the pleasure that actually eating them will bring!
    Thank you for sharing the recipe with us!

• 46. Juliana Cetrim  |  February 19, 2010 at 8:58 am

Hi there, I´m brazilian and I´m glad to see brigadeiros in your blog. We just love it here! I never ate the recipes you made, sure I´m gonna do it here.
    Xoxo

• 47. lisa  |  February 19, 2010 at 10:31 am

these look yummmm! how did you store them, and how long do they keep?

• 48. Elissa  |  February 20, 2010 at 11:31 am

lisa – It was a bit clunky, but we kept the brigadeiros on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. We stored the brigadeiros in the fridge because we liked the thick, chewy texture they had once chilled, but I suspect you could also keep them at room temperature. In the fridge, they kept a week wrapped up (we don’t know exactly because they didn’t stick around long… yum). It would probably keep for less time at room temperature.

• 49. Elisabeth  |  February 19, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Hello there! I’m a huge fan of your blog!! I adore your photography! May I use some to make into icons and various other graphics, I’ll will defiantly credit you! Keep on baking!

-Elisabeth

• 50. Elissa  |  February 20, 2010 at 11:24 am

Elisabeth – Your graphics are gorgeous! Unfortunately, I have to say no about using my photos as graphics. Even though I know you would credit me, it’s just too hard to control what happens to my photos when I give someone permission to use them like that. At the moment I’m dealing with my first case of photo theft, and I’m not very open to releasing photos. But thank you so much for reading and good luck with your graphics site!

• 51. Maria Fernanda  |  February 19, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Hey! I’m another brasilian that loves brigadeiros! :)

Love seeing theme here aswell!

• 52. Talita Souza  |  February 19, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Lovely your website. Two things I really love: food and Photography. I really love “brigadeiros”. I eat a lot here in Brazil. People sell them everywhere.

• 53. Rafaella  |  February 19, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Olá!! Eu adorei o post sobre os brigadeiros! São realmente deliciosos! Parabéns pelo site.

• 54. The Purple Foodie  |  February 20, 2010 at 11:29 am

I’m so happy to discover your blog, Elissa! I love how you’ve written this post. I’ve been on the fence about buying myself a dSLR for way too long now.. I’m going to keep reading this post for motivation!