Cream Cheese Rippled Pumpkin Bread

November 12, 2009 at 2:41 am 79 comments

Last week I turned in my senior quote. I did a slight twist on Harriet van Horne’s quote and submitted, “Baking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon, or not at all.” Every aspect of my life, baking no exception, intertwines with heartfelt emotion, passion, and optimism. I have always been, and will always be, a girl who wears her heart on her sleeve.

I’m the kind of person who is confident about true love, believes that all people deep down are born good, and can’t help but suspect that karma really exists. I have never been someone who places priorities on logic and cold hard facts, but instead intuition and what your heart is telling you.

English, history, and topics involving different cultures and philosophies are predictably my favorite classes. I despise science and math. To me, those subjects emphasize a detachment that I can’t get past. I don’t see the beauty in numbers and unchanging, unemotional laws.

It seems that I would see baking the way that I see everything else – throw my soul into it, use feel instead of precise measurement, and consider recipes more like suggestions. There’s such a romance to imagine being in the kitchen without notes, just using your heart to produce something beautiful, and yet, it’s just not how I work.

On Halloween, my friends D- and M- came over to bake. If they were expecting me to approach baking the way I see the rest of the world, with a carefree attitude and sentimental lightheartedness, they were surprised. They did all the measuring and mixing themselves, but they had to be as precise as my standards. As M- measured out the flour, I showed him how to fluff it up in the bin, fill the cup using a spoon, and level it off with a knife. I showed D- how to use the scale when portioning the cream cheese.

M- began to use the wrong side of the knife to level the sugar, using the curved edge and measuring out less than the full cup. When I pointed this out, he rolled his eyes and said, “Jeez, Elissa, baking isn’t a science.”

Without even thinking, acting on pure instinct, I told him, “Yes it is.”

Yes, there is a romance to imagine someone working without recipes, knowing the exact feel of the dough. But I’m not experienced enough to know everything by feel and create recipes in my head. And while I’ll frequently swap ingredients in recipes to match my preferences, I am as exact and scientific about measuring as possible. While it doesn’t seem to fit with the rest of my outlook on the world, it works for me.

In science especially, I find the need for precision exhausting. I’m not patient enough to pipette liquid into a beaker drop by drop to get exactly 30 ml. I just get bored repeating the same experiment five times to get enough trials for an accurate average. But weirdly enough, this is one of my favorite parts of baking.

When I chop and measure out exactly 4 ounces of chocolate, using my little scale, I focus so intently that I don’t think about anything else. Classes, college apps, my social life – none of it even makes an appearance when I bake. It’s not possible for my mind to totally clear while I have so many responsibilities, but there isn’t much room left over to think about my grades while I’m weighing 100 grams of sugar.

It was weird to realize that I see baking as a science, but I stand by it. I love knowing how the ingredients work together, seeing how a slight change in ingredient or technique can drastically change a dessert. Even though I love the idea of an Italian grandmother making gnocchi by memory, or a patient baker kneading dough entirely on feel, I also love the way I feel when the scale reads exactly three ounces. Somehow, I can see a beauty in that too.

The pumpkin bread that I made with D- and M- was devoured in minutes that night at a Halloween party. When I arrived with the warm loaf, only one person was hungry enough to cut a small slice. But when he went back to practically inhale another, everyone followed, and the loaf was cut into huge square chunks until every last crumb was gone.

Everyone at the party liked the still-warm loaves, but I happen to like the texture and flavor after the bread has aged a few days. The recipe makes two loaves, so you can find out for yourself or give one away to a friend. What do you think I did with the second loaf, after I brought the first one to the party? :)

Cream Cheese Rippled Pumpkin Bread

4 large eggs
2 cups (400 grams) granulated white sugar
1 cup (226 grams) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 – 15 ounce (425 grams) can pure pumpkin
1/2 cup (120 ml) water
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour two 9″x5″ pans.

For the Cream Cheese Filling: Beat the cream cheese just until smooth in a stand mixer or food processor. Add the sugar and process just until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, processing just until incorporated. Do not over process. Stir in the flour. Set aside.

For the Pumpkin Bread: Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl and set aside. In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs until lightly beaten. Whisk in the sugar and melted butter, then stir in the pumpkin, water, vanilla extract, and (optionally) nuts.

Stir the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture, being careful not to overmix. A few streaks of flour are fine. Divide the batter in half. Take one half and divide it between the two pans. Pour half of the cream cheese filling into each pan, then top with the remaining half of batter. Smooth the tops and bake an hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then turn out and cool loaves to room temperature.

Printer Friendly Version – Cream Cheese Rippled Pumpkin Bread

Entry filed under: Breads. Tags: , , , , , , , , .

The Confidence Cookie For Mom, Dad, and Grandma

• 1. Sarah  |  December 26, 2009 at 10:18 pm

Thanks to AOL, I checked into this blog =) Such a beautiful creation! Keep up the good work. I’ll have to try this recipe out sometime.

• 2. Fong  |  January 8, 2010 at 12:51 am

Hi Elissa,

I recently got addicted to baking and decided to try out this recipe with real pumpkin. Was so happy to see the bread rise (given that my first 2 chiffon cakes failed to). Anyway, while I incorporated the flour into the mixture, the final output wasn’t smooth at all and they were quite moist on the inside after baking for an hour. Is that alright?

Fong

• 3. Elissa  |  January 8, 2010 at 8:38 am

Fong – It’s okay if the final batter isn’t smooth. I’m not quite sure what to tell you about the moistness of the final product. This isn’t a “bread bread,” but a quick bread, so it’ll be less dry than a loaf of regular bread. It shouldn’t be wet inside (you should be able to stick in a toothpick or thin knife and have it come out clean.) The pumpkin and cream cheese mixture also help keep it moist. Hopefully it still tasted good! :)

• 4. Fong  |  January 9, 2010 at 1:59 am

Thanks Elisa. Apart from the texture, the taste was great. I would try bake it again in the future, hopefully the texture will improve :) Have fun!

• 5. Tania  |  January 22, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Elissa!! I baked this! I think this is the… fourth recipe I’ve made from your blog? I should keep a log.
    But it was delish, although I left out the cream cheese part – didn’t have any and I’m not a fan of it. It was not too sweet, and definitely has the texture of bread with the extra pumpkin flavoring (: Yum!

• 6. Rachel  |  January 31, 2010 at 11:18 am

I’m a little irked that I didn’t find your blog earlier, I think you’re amazing! I completely agree with you about math and science. While sometimes I find comfort in the fact that they always follow logic and rules, it seems detached and rigid. I love History and English, like you, because there seems to be endless possibilities and anything can happen.

So, yeah, that was me rambling. I tend to do that a lot. Just wanted to say hi, and to say that I think you’re really talented!

• [...] Cream Cheese Rippled Pumpkin Bread: I’ve made this pumpkin bread every autumn since 2005. I still have the same recipe that I printed out in 7th grade, and it hasn’t changed a bit (besides an orange smudge in the corner.) It’s just that good. This pumpkin bread is very moist, with just enough spice and pumpkin flavor. The cream cheese ripple is so, so good – if I would change anything, I might double the cream cheese filling. From 17 and Baking. [...]

• 9. Alyssa  |  October 19, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Iv made this pumpkin bread 3 times this month already. Everyone who has tried it keeps begging me for more!

• 10. Cream Cheese Swirled Pumpkin Cake | Penne and Olive  |  October 26, 2010 at 11:11 am

[...] Adapted from or inspired by 17 and baking [...]

• 11. Kitchen Adventures « OliveWildly  |  February 9, 2011 at 11:55 am

[...] Without even thinking, acting on pure instinct, I told him, “Yes it is.”” via 17 and Baking:  Cream Cheese Rippled Pumpkin Bread [...]

• 12. Febgiving Leftovers | From China Village  |  February 23, 2011 at 12:11 pm

[...] Adapted from 17 and Baking [...]

• 13. Jasmine M  |  February 28, 2011 at 12:03 am

The lighting of the photos that accompany each post is exceptional. I look forward to following your future blogs.

• 14. Lia Jasso  |  June 7, 2011 at 5:46 am

Saw the full posting. There is certainly a few truly helpful details here. thanks alot :). “Isn’t it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction listen to weather forecasts and economists” by Kelvin III Throop..

• 15. In which we gear up for Halloween! | An Improbable Fiction  |  October 28, 2011 at 9:26 am

[...] you wanted to go a healthier route, you could also try these Pumpkin Muffins, or this Cream Cheese Rippled Pumpkin Bread. Alternatively, you could forgo all the pumpkin flavoured frivolity, munch on a Bar-One, and get [...]

• 16. Cream Cheese Rippled Pumpkin Bread | bartoblog  |  November 6, 2011 at 11:41 pm

[...] Cream Cheese Rippled Pumpkin Bread from Lick the Bowl Good via Joy of Baking via 17 and Baking [...]

• 17. jingooo  |  March 9, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I just made this recipe for the first time last night. SO happy to declare that it was a success! I brought some in for my coworkers today and received great feedback. Whoohoo!!

Next time I will not be lazy and actually butter and flour the pan, instead of lining it with parchment paper. I want my loaf to look just as neat as yours!

Thanks for sharing this great recipe.

• 18. rachel  |  August 16, 2012 at 10:33 pm

ahhh elissa i love your blog and can’t wait to bake this for thanksgiving– my family’s going to flip and you’re getting all the credit!
    hope you feel the love from baltimore, maryland xox

• 19. Alyssa  |  October 9, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your recipes and I was so affraid when I couldnt remember you website. But I found it YEY!!!

• 20. Alyssa  |  October 9, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I can’t make this pumpkin bread fast enough. Everyone wants it again and again

• 21. Another Dad  |  November 8, 2012 at 1:34 am

Elissa’s Dad. I came across Elissa’s blog while researching a family trip to Rome I am planning for December. I, too, have a daughter in school in Boston…. the same age as Elissa. Tonight, she called me to discuss recipes for the Thanksgiving feast she will be cooking with a gaggle of her friends. What fun it is to share the joy of cooking with your daughter. Reading your comment, I felt compelled to add my own, just to say that, as a fellow father, I somehow share with you the pride I know you feel for your wonderfully talented daughter. As my daughter might say, this probably sounds cheesy to some, but I’m sure you understand what I mean.

• 22. TJ {Sugar Blossoms}  |  September 2, 2013 at 10:17 am

Hi there! I wanted to let you know I featured you on Sugar Blossoms today. Stop by and check it out! http://sweetsugarblossoms.blogspot.com/2013/09/i-freakin-love-pumpkin.html

• 23. fashion clothes  |  June 10, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Not all teenagers are that rich enough to spend money on apparels in order to
    catch up with these trends. There are some good rules of thumb for how
    to wear clothes according to your body type. It can be so hard to
    guess just how cold or warm it is outdoors by peeking through your window in the morning.

• 24. sarahjones2965.exteen.com  |  June 22, 2014 at 6:48 am

Not all teenagers are that rich enough to spend money on apparels
    in order to catch up with these trends. Women’s clothing retailer DOTS is going out of business and they are having a
    big sale. The wholehearted devotion to follow teen fashion trends are considered by some
    as mere extravagance.