My Favorite Cookies

April 12, 2009 at 5:17 pm 69 comments

It doesn’t matter how many cookie recipes I dog-ear or bookmark. I’ve tried everything from tuiles to the famous Word Peace cookies. These gingersnaps will always, always be my favorite cookie EVER.

I don’t mean to go over the top, but I love these cookies. I am in love with them. I love them down to the last detail.

First of all, they are beautiful. I’ve never made any cookie that is this consistantly perfect. Chocolate chip cookies come out misshapen and flat, sugar cookies always seem to brown unevenly, even oatmeal raisin cookies can come out bland – never these cookies. Every single cookie comes out a perfectly round circle, beautifully cracked, and sparkling with big crystals of sugar. And the flavor! Cinnamon is my favorite spice, and these cookies have the perfect balance of sweet and spicy.

Love!

Really, I could keep raving, and I’m trying not to go overboard. But if you’re not already sold and measuring out the sugar, I won’t feel bad about continuing. The texture of these cookies is just right; they’re lightly crisp around the edges and chewy in the middle. The cookies are (in my opinion) the best size, gone in three bites and leaving you wanting more. You don’t even a mixer. It only takes two bowls. The dough takes 5 minutes to make! Plus, plus, they’re only 60 calories a cookie. Not that that matters. :)

On another note… I’m enjoying the last days of my spring break and decided to make myself a light box for my photography. I had all the materials on hand, so it was free, instructions courtesy of Strobist. These were my first photos using it… I’m pretty pleased with the results, although I was using natural sunlight. I’ll have to see how it works with artificial lighting.

But back to the gingersnaps. Please, please do yourself a favor and make these.

While I wouldn’t suggest messing with a good thing, you could easily add mini chocolate chips or lemon zest to these cookies. These cookies are perfect on their own, but I always dunk mine in milk. I also suspect, since all the cookies are uniform circles, that these would make great ice cream sandwiches (vanilla? Maybe peach ice cream.)

Perfect Gingersnaps
Makes 5 dozen 2″ cookies

2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
Pinch of salt
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
3/4 cup canola oil
1 large egg
Sugar for rolling (I like evaporated cane juice or raw sugar)

Whisk together the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt in a medium bowl. In another bowl, combine together the brown sugar, molasses, canola oil, and egg until smooth. Mix the flour mixture into the brown mixture, stirring until dough comes together. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop up bits of dough by the heaping teaspoonful and roll into balls between your palms, about the size of a quarter. Roll the balls in sugar and place on the baking sheets 2 inches apart. Bake 8 minutes – if you like crispy gingersnaps, try 9-10 minutes.

Cookies will be very soft but will firm up. Leave on the baking sheet several minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Printer Friendly Version – Perfect Gingersnaps

Entry filed under: Cookies. Tags: , , , .

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chunk Muffins Simple Pear Tart for two – SHF

• 1. A Walk in the Woods » Blog Archive » Gingersnap Cookies  |  February 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm

[...] sell the house (or even get us an offer), but they tasted pretty good.  I found the recipe on 17 and Baking’s web site (which is an awesome web site by the way!) and the cookies were [...]

• 2. Tom Hodgson  |  August 30, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Thanks! These came out well. I had no parchment paper, no “Pam”, and the cookies came off the pan without trouble. Doubled the ginger, added a big teaspoonful of ground pepper, and used coarse salt. The salt holds together, so you get occosional salty bursts along with the sweet.

• 3. Ione  |  September 3, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I love the recipe! Seriously, you are the best there is recipe-wise with these!! I tried them out with a different mixture of flour since I’m Celiac’s, but omg they turned out perfect for each one! An the best part is…..? XD I’m the only in my family who likes ginger snaps so I get the whole batch to myself!! ^_~

• 4. Diane Petty  |  September 11, 2011 at 12:34 am

I am about to try your gingersnaps this morning, can’t wait. Your blog is fab. Just to let you know that I live in Dubai.

• 5. Recipe: Gingersnaps « khandii  |  November 20, 2011 at 1:34 pm

[...] Adopted from:http://17andbaking.com/2009/04/12/my-favorite-cookies/ [...]

• 6. No Molasses Ginger Snaps (Spice Cookies)  |  December 1, 2011 at 7:33 pm

[...] Modified from 17 & Baking [...]

• 7. Laura  |  December 23, 2011 at 11:21 pm

These are perfect! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. My sister just made them and they are amazing!

• 8. Chad  |  January 6, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I made these twice, and they really are perfect! The second time, I added a half-teaspoon of ground white pepper, which really worked out well.

• [...] des Kühlschranks.  Auf 17andbaking.com habe ich ein tolles Rezept für Ingwerkekse gefunden. http://17andbaking.com/2009/04/12/my-favorite-cookies/ Nur sehen die bei mir nicht sooo schön aus, schmecken aber saugut. Das Rezept ist nicht vegan, [...]

• 10. Meg  |  September 2, 2012 at 6:54 am

Is the batter supposed to be super runny? After i added the flour it was like goo. I was sure i did it wrongly so i added more flour. But it affected the baking. It didnt melt and crack nicely like yours.

• 11. Sweet Pea's Kitchen » Gingersnaps  |  September 9, 2012 at 2:26 pm

[...] Source: adapted from 17 and baking [...]

• 12. Holly N.  |  November 5, 2012 at 12:44 am

Made these tonight, and they turned out great!! I made mini ones, so I used my small cookie scoop and divided one scoop in half to make 2 cookies. Baked for 5 1/2 minutes. So cute, and perfect size for my kids. The texture really is perfect. Thanks for the great recipe!

• 13. variety  |  December 19, 2012 at 6:34 am

Hello there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it’s truly informative. I’m going to watch out for brussels.

I will be grateful if you continue this in future. Numerous people will
    be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

• 14. Mae  |  November 10, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Hi Elissa!! I absolutely adore your blog and your chattering on and on about these cookies… haha! I’m planning on making these on Thursday for my friends that are coming over! :) Thank you for sharing!

• 15. Delana  |  December 3, 2013 at 7:23 am

Excellent cookies! Instead of the light brown sugar and molasses, I used 1 1/4 c dark brown sugar. Came out just as beautiful as your picture…and delightfully tasty. Thanks!